Thomas Gleixner, linutronix GmbH
Dual kernel approaches
Linux RT history
Riwht RTLinux you have to split the app up into the hand realtime.
2004 Preemt RT stared
Driven bye kernel developers
Full integration into mainine "planned
Controlling a laser with Linux is crazy, but everyone in this room is crazy in his own way.
Preempt-RT Readmap Timeline
- 2004 Start of work
- 2006 First productized version
- 2011 Full techonological rewrite
- Successfull in many aspects
- Still a challenging project
- High resolution timers
- Mutex infrastructure
- Generic interrupt handring infrastructure
and so on....
Find portable solutions for mainline
Assumed large user
- 3000 downloads within 5 business days after release
- Assumed size on download statics
- 60% Western Europe
- 25% North America
- 10% Asia
- 5% The Rest
One part time funded project lead
Close to zero Not even documentation (see the rt.wiki.kernel.org)
- The future* Tecnological aspects
- Sustainability aspects
it can be solved
Is Preept-RT sustainable?
- Not with the current resources
Not with the sunsume only mentality
OSADL is running a collaboratively founded large scale RT test farm, which is crucal for the success of the project and suffers from similar issues.
- Linux Foundation will facilitate companies that wish to collaboratively found the R&D work require